Thursday, May 18, 2006

Move to a different city

After a lot of thought I have decided to move to another city mainly due to the high unemployment rate in Michigan (Since Michigan’s Tech economy is not doing well); I have made some choices however I am very skeptical on moving as I did not come across any good reviews. Currently I am working as a Network Administrator and will be looking for a similar position after the move. If you are living or have lived in these cities please provide me with some feedback, I will greatly appreciate your help.

I am looking to move to a city that has good culture, has a booming Tech sector, also a city that a good number of singles, and is a cool city.

Seattle: I have heard a lot about this city, it is where software giant Microsoft is located as well as other big companies like Starbucks, Boeing etc. It has a good tech market but on the other hand it is considered to be a very expensive city. Do you think I will be able to get a decent job in the tech arena if I move there without a job? What are some of the good areas to raise a family?

Austin: This is another city on my list. This place is a power house when it comes to the Tech Industry. Various big computer companies like Dell, and AMD have their headquarters in Austin. The city has a lot of singles, and has a very good culture. On the flip side I have read that lot of the students don’t like the professional population who have jobs and treat them in a demeaning way.

Chicago: I have been to Chicago a lot of times, I really like the city but how is their tech market. I know that the housing is very expensive in this city, and people do get rude but that’s a given when you live in a large city like Chicago. Is Chicago a good place to move for a young TECH professional like myself?

I will moving to one of these cities by the end of August, however I do want to visit and see how Seattle and Austin really are probably in early July.

I have not decided where I will move, but will take your input seriously in order to make my decision.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Michael Day said...

Seattle - It has one of the best tech markets, moreover it has a very favorable climate it does rain a lot in the winter but in summer this is the place to be. It is relatively an expensive place, however with the amount of money you make it all evens up. You should not have a problem finding a job if you have good experience, best of luck.

May 18, 2006 10:00 AM  
Anonymous Mike said...

It is expensive here -

Which is OK if you make $80k a year, but most of us don't. Real estate prices and rents are making this an elitist city for the rich. Sure you can find cheaper housing outside of Seattle, but, lets face it, the commuting into Seattle has always been a problem and who'd really want to live in some of these places?

May 18, 2006 10:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home