More Info on the Dashboard Update
The Xbox 360 dashboard has been confirmed one way or the other, with articles on the MS Knowledge Base appearing, only to be later taken down. However yesterday the Xbox marketing team also confirmed it was coming.
Originally planned for May 23, the update will have the sought after background downloading feature. The Xbox marketing representative said gamers should look out for more information in the coming week.
Here is the important part from the KB article:
This article describes the Active Download feature that is available in the Xbox Live Marketplace. With the spring auto-update of the Xbox Live service scheduled for May 23, 2006, you will have access to the Active Download feature in the Xbox Live Marketplace.With an active downloads list, you receive the following benefits:
- Each item that you download is downloaded separately in the background. This lets you continue to use the console while you download an item.
- You can stream music, play DVDs or CDs, play arcade titles, and play games while you download an item from the marketplace.
- If you start to play an online game, the download is automatically paused while you play the game to help prevent game lag because of network congestion. This helps you receive the best online gaming experience that the network can provide.
- All downloads are associated with your profile. If a download is paused or if the download is interrupted, the download will resume the next time that you connect to Xbox Live.
- You can add items to the active downloads list at any time by selecting more items from the marketplace.
- You will receive a notification in the Xbox Guide when an item starts to download and when the download is completed. You will also receive a notification if the download fails.